Woman, 47, attacked at her home along with teenage boy dies in hospital


A woman who was attacked at her home along with a teenage boy has died in hospital.

A search for Paul Robson has today entered its third day and Northumbria Police’s investigation is now a murder probe.

Police are searching for the 49-year-old Robson in connection with the fatal attack, which happened in the Northumberland village of Linton on Sunday.

Officers have named the woman killed as Caroline Kayll, reports Chronicle Live.

Neighbours heard screaming shortly before the police arrived on the scene.

Today the search for Robson moved to Wallsend, where officers are searching a property, and Glasgow.

Robson is described as white, around 5ft5in tall, of slim build, bald and he wears glasses. He is believed to have travelled to Glasgow.

Police say the teenage boy is not related to Caroline or the suspect.

And detectives are also quizzing a 58-year-old man who has been arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender.

Superintendent Paul Milner has appealed for help from the public but offered reassurance that the attack is being treated as an isolated incident.

He said: “This has been a complex investigation that has seen officers carrying out enquiries across the region this week.

“We know that it has caused a great deal of concern, particularly the fact that a suspect in this case has not yet been arrested.

“I want to reassure you that this is being treated as an isolated incident and there is no information that suggests Paul Robson is a danger to the wider public.

“Extensive enquiries to locate Paul have continued in recent days and we are now appealing for help from the public to locate him.

“We would stress that this is a live murder investigation and an incredibly difficult time for Caroline’s family and the teenage boy injured in the attack.

“We would urge people not to speculate on any of the circumstances as it could hinder our investigation.

“Anyone who has information that could assist our investigation, or knows the location of the suspect, is asked to get in touch immediately.”

Police were called at roughly 8.55pm on Sunday when a disturbance was reported at a house on Foxcover, an estate of new build homes, in the colliery village of Linton, north of Newcastle.

Inside the home they found a 47-year-old woman and 15-year-old boy seriously injured.

They were both taken to hospital.

The woman’s condition was described as critical, while police say the teenager’s injuries are serious but are not thought to be life-threatening.

Today a spokesman confirmed the 47-year-old woman has died.

There is still a heavy police presence on Foxcover and the house remains cordoned off.

Neighbours have told how the suspected attacker knocked at the house next door, asking for help.

Brian Burns, 83, who lives two doors away, said: “I wasn’t around but I have been told that he went next door to get her to help and she rang for the ambulance.

“She’s a nurse and she went in to see what she could do.”

One neighbour said he heard screams just before police arrived at the property.

The 59-year-old, who did not wish to be named, said: “I didn’t see anything, I just heard a scream about 20 minutes before the police came.

“The police van came screeching up and two policemen legged it in there.

“It looked like one of them was giving someone CPR.”

And the man said it was worrying that the suspect had not been caught.

“The fact that they haven’t caught him and we have not been told is ridiculous,” he said. “We don’t know if it’s a family problem or someone from out the area.

“The forensics guys have been under our cars looking for something, but we haven’t been told anything.”

Ken Hindmarsh, who lives opposite the house, said it was home to a couple who had recently moved to the street.

The 56-year-old said: “I have said hello to them now and then. I know there were a woman and a man living there. They have not been there for a long time.

“They are a friendly couple. I walk the dog at different times of the day and often see her outside and say ‘hello’.”